Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Sweet 16!

Next up, we celebrated Cadence's birthday - Sweet Sixteen! In hindsight, we would've scheduled the day a little differently. At the last minute, we saw that the BMV in Marion had openings for her to take her driving test on her actual birthday (the location in Delaware closer to us was fully booked). She had all of her hours done and we felt confident that she could pass. Welp, that morning didn't turn out as we had anticipated. Cadence had an old man administer her test and he was pretty picky! She was penalized for not pausing for at least 3 seconds when turning right on red (I mean, who does?!) and while driving the agility portion, she hit the pole coming out of the cone with her mirror, which caused the cone to fall over. She was so upset when she made it back into the testing location. My heart was crushed for her. She cried the entire way home. It was pitiful and there was nothing I could say to make her feel better. 

This was the morning of her birthday - so full of happiness and hope!

When we got home, she just wanted to sleep. She had gotten up early for her driving test and she was emotionally drained. I don't blame her. My  mom also stopped over to talk to her - she felt a little better by that afternoon. After Colin's baseball games in New Albany, we picked up Tropical Smoothie for dinner (her request) and enjoyed the apple cake concoction Grandma made.

Poppa was inhaling helium and making everyone crack up.

I'm glad her special day turned out to be a good day. She deserved to have fun. She's usually a goofy kid, so it was hard to see her so down. She's a determined kid who gives her best effort no matter what she's working on. She loves to make us laugh (I'm an easy audience and laughs at everything she does) and has done really well trying new things this year. She loves freefall rides at amusement parks and even loves ice cream now! I mean, who is this kid?!

No comments:

Post a Comment